My dear people of Rivers State,
It is with profound gratitude to God Almighty that I address you today, Wednesday, January 27, 2016.
2. Today the Supreme Court of Nigeria voided and set aside the decisions of the Rivers State Election Petition Tribunal and the Court of Appeal Panel and unequivocally re-affirmed my election as the Governor of Rivers State.
3. First of all, I dedicate this victory to God Almighty and the course of Justice, recognizing the hard work, commitment and dedication of millions of Nigerians who are working towards a better and fairer society. The Supreme Court of Nigeria has sealed the justness of our cause.
4. Justice Learned Hand, once rightly observed: “if we are to keep democracy there must be a commandment: thou shall not ration justice.” Today, we, the people of Rivers State are beneficiaries of justice in its true measure. We salute the courage and determination of the Supreme Court of Nigeria to always uphold the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the rule of law in our democracy.
5. Throughout this journey I have severally reaffirmed our confidence in the independence and integrity of the judiciary as well as its unassailable role as the last hope of the common man. History, they say, will continue to vindicate the just.
6. We thank the residents and people of Rivers State, and indeed, all men and women of goodwill, for standing with us throughout the trying moments of the last seven months. Let me especially appreciate our traditional rulers, chiefs and elders; our spiritual and religious fathers, women, brothers and sisters, and our politically conscious and economically vibrant youth. This is your victory. Your goodwill, support and prayers provided the impetus for today’s victory. I can never thank you enough!
7. Let me also acknowledge the entire leadership and membership of the Peoples Democratic Party at all levels for the hard work that culminated in our electoral victory, which has been reaffirmed by the Supreme Court.
8. My beloved people of Rivers State, it has been a long way to today! Although we may have been slowed down by the distractions of the unnecessary litigation, we never lost focus of our vision for a new Rivers State. Indeed, this victory has re-invigorated us towards accelerating our development agenda.
9. We humbly acknowledge that our quest for inclusive government would be further enhanced when more good hands on deck. We salute Dr. Dakuku Adol Peterside, my friend and APC governorship candidate, for his courage in fighting his cause to the end. Now that the battle is over, the interest of Rivers State should be primary in all our considerations and actions.
10. The development of Rivers State is our primary responsibility as leaders. Accordingly, it is our pleasure to invite Dr. Dakuku Peterside and the entire APC followership to join us in the work of actualizing the aspirations of our people.
11. The New Rivers Vision seeks a balanced development and enhanced quality of life for the present and future generations through responsive governance guided by the fear of God. I assure them that no one will be excluded from the governance process because, working together, we will certainly achieve more.
12. We thank the Almighty God for His Grace. For without Him, we are nothing and we could have done or achieved nothing.
13. As children of God, we pledge to continue to run a just and equitable administration that will hopefully lead to greater development for our State and the happiness of the greatest number of our people.
14. God bless Rivers State and the Federal Republic of Nigeria